Resident Project Representative (Vertical Construction) – Quincy or Woburn, MA
Observes construction of municipal water and wastewater vertical projects involving new treatment plant construction and rehabilitation construction. (water and wastewater treatment process construction, coordination of multiple disciplines: civil site, process mechanical, structural, electrical, HVAC and plumbing, Instrumentation and controls, startup and commissioning, etc.).
Monitors and reports the contractor’s adherence to standards, specifications, and design drawings and permits.
Reports to the Construction Project Manager.
Key Job Responsibilities:
- Work independently under broad, general supervision and in conjunction with the Construction Project Manager
- Review contract documents, submittals, RFIs, and other project documentation and provide comments, coordinate review, and record as necessary
- Oversee construction activities ensuring compliance with the contract and site procedures, track activities to review payments, prepare progress reports
- Monitor that construction complies with approved current standards and specifications;
- Perform highly responsible functions requiring the exercise of independent judgment and technical knowledge.
- Observe and photograph construction work in progress;
- Note and report improprieties and deficiencies;
- Maintain field log of daily events;
- Track and quantify items of construction daily;
- Conduct meetings and prepare minutes
- Monitor project schedule
- Write and issue field orders, initiate change proposals for design team review and approval, estimate cost of changes, negotiate costs with contractors, and recommend acceptance to the Project Manager
- Supervise and direct the activities of Construction Inspectors, testing services and subconsultants as needed
- Formulate written progress reports;
- Observe and record material and equipment tests and equipment startup; and
- Review and provide recommendations for submittals, pay estimates for contractors, proposed change orders, and documentation for funding and regulatory agencies.
This is a contract employment position.
- Post high school education required.
- At least seven years of experience in construction inspection for consulting engineers, or municipalities.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering desirable.
- Knowledge of engineering plans, specifications, practices and methods.
- Knowledge of Massachusetts publicly bid construction laws including Massachusetts Public Bidding Laws Chapter 149.
- Ability to read and interpret construction plans and specifications;
- Experience monitoring the work of multiple subcontractors
- Demonstrated ability to communicate both orally and in writing with contractors, engineers, municipal staff and general public.
- Knowledge of construction standards, inspection methods and techniques.
- Self-confident with the ability to communicate effectively with project managers, client staff and contractor’s superintendent.
- Excellent written communication skills,
- Computer proficiency with Microsoft applications and Critical Path Method scheduling.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Valid driver’s license required.
- OSHA 10-hour Construction Certification required.
- 40-Hour Training in specialty trades preferred.
- Confined Space Certificate preferred.
Updated: September 2021